Monday, December 2, 2013

Mexico Pachuca - Week 3 - December 2, 2013

(Excerpts from e-mail)


The language is still difficult. I can speak ok I think but understanding people is still hard. I have to focus super hard just to try and pick out a few words here and there and try and piece together whets going on. Its ok and i feel like I’m getting better everyday i just need to focus and pay attention all the time. We teach lessons all the time and they are going good. We only have a husband and wife who are progressing investigators right now but they are great. On Wednesday the husband bore his testimony about how he is preparing for baptism and how he wants it and he wants to change and wants to start a new life and be a new person and ended with estoy listo. Which simply means I am ready. It was amazing and it really made me think this is why I am here and this is what I want all the time. His wife has a few more concerns but on Friday she said she prayed and felt really peaceful and didn’t know if that was an answer or not.  Me and my companion sang Lead, Kindly Light (which is an amazing hymn) and after I shared how I got my answer about whether or not to go on a mission and it felt great. We have another lesson with them tonight so we will see how that goes hopefully they get baptized at the end of the month.

Lead, Kindly Light
1. Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene--one step enough for me.

2. I was not ever thus, nor pray'd that thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path; but now,
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.

3. So long thy pow'r hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone.
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

The weather is weird its usually cold but during the day it can get kind of warm but my companion says it gets colder in December and January so we will see.

This week we studied how family history is a huge tool that we can use for finding people and helping people and it really hit me hard. I keep thinking about my patriarchal blessing and how important it is. There are videos we watched called "To Turn the Hearts" I think. It refers to the scripture turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to their fathers. I understand this scripture now and also the spirit of Elijah. I learned so much this week but the videos were great and I know how important it is and I plan on starting that as soon as I get home. The scripture the worth of souls is great in the eyes of the Lord, I feel like that is also talking about all the souls that have already passed on and need the work done for them. And how great will be your joy if you bring many souls unto repentance and ultimately salvation. This is what I have been thinking about a lot this week and it really has me excited to start this when I get home but for now I have other work to do.  


We just watched a talk about this (missions being for the missionary as much as for those they are serving) by Elder Holland this morning about how the new missionary program with Preach My Gospel is in use now to first convert the missionary and then to help the investigator. He shared how his mission changed his whole life and shaped every single decision after and every good thing that has happened in his life has been because of his mission. I feel that way now a little and i hope that that feeling just continues to grow and not shrink over the next two years. It was a great talk and i 
learned so much. It was a talk to missionaries at the MTC.

I love you and everyone. Thank you all for the love and example that you have been to me.

Elder Park

No comments:

Post a Comment