Monday, February 10, 2014

Mexico Pachuca - Week 13 - February 10, 2014


HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY ELDER PARK!!!
(Thursday, February 6, 2014)


Q: So, tell me about your birthday celebration, do they do things differently in Mexico when it comes to birthdays? Any special foods, traditions, etc.?
A: Birthdays are pretty much the same: cake, food, and family.
 



 
           M: Wow, that’s a lot of cake, who made all of that?
 
EP: Haha the daughter of the bishop, Denise made the two cakes. The normal cake and the Oreo gelatin kind of thing. The jello is from a friend of the bishop that hopefully we will teach this week because her family isn’t members. The big orange thing is like a sandwich. It’s just like all the things in a sandwich but like put together like that. My companion’s sister makes it at his house.

M: That’s pretty interesting, how did it taste?
           EP: Haha it was ok. Kind of weird cuz the bread was all soggy but it was ok.

 

Q: What’s going on with you, tell me a story?
A: Right now the work is kind of hard. We just don’t have investigators that are really progressing well and my companion, I think, is just tired of the area because he’s been here almost 6 months. The members aren’t really working with us and that makes it really hard, but this week we taught a bunch of people for the first time and they seem good for now.  One lesson, we went with a member Joaquin, he’s like 15 and super funny. But we went to visit his aunty and her family. We taught them about baptism and faith and all that good stuff. And the aunty was just like yeah I believe you guys and everything and I was like awesome she’s going to be a great investigator. Then my companion asked if she felt the need to be baptized because we just taught how we all need to be baptized to enter into the kingdom of God and she was just like no. and I was so confused. She said so many good things. She understood, I thought, what we were saying and then she was like no I don’t need to be baptized. I don’t know why but no. It was disappointing but we will visit her again and see what happens. Then as we were leaving I walked out first and then Joaquin and then I turned around and was like where’s my companion. We looked in the doorway and he was giving the daughter of the family a little card thing. It was a pass along card with the lds.org website on it but Joaquin was like “whoa elder what are you doing” and just teasing him about it.
          

Q: What are you studying?
A: It’s interesting I was reading the manual of president Joseph Fielding Smith and in his mission he didn’t baptize any one and he became a prophet. But everyday it says he visited an insane number of houses don’t remember how many but a crazy amount and he didn’t baptize one person. Right now I am still reading Jesus the Christ and studying different stuff from Preach My Gospel. This week I studied a lot about faith. How faith is so much more than just a belief but all of our actions. Faith without works is dead. The most important part of our faith is showing it through our actions. Only in this way will we receive all the blessings that are promised to us. I’m trying to work on getting people to understand this.  We never receive a miracle until after the trial of our faith.


Q: So how’s the weather, in Sis. Egbert’s blog she said it’s getting warmer?
A: Its definitely starting to warm up now. The mornings are still cold but not as cold and at night it isn’t as cold.  I can sleep in shorts and a t shirt and one blanket. But in the middle of the night I need my second blanket haha.

M: I'm glad you have those blankets. I guess by the time you get the box you won't need the beanies, gloves, scarves and socks we sent!

EP: Haha probably not but I still have one more winter.



Elder Park at Burger King in his jacket!


Even in Mexico they love their superheroes, Elder Park’s Captain America jump drive.

Love,
Elder Park

Thank you to all who sent birthday wishes and gifts to Elder Park. He sends his gratitude and love for all your kind thoughts, love and support.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment